Some Interesting Hair Facts
Hair is made of dead cells when it grows out of its root. This is the reason why you don’t feel any pain when your hairdresser works with his or her scissors.
A single hair strand has the thickness between 0.02 mm and 0.04 mm.
Hair is made of a protein called ‘keratin’, the same protein that protects the finger nails.
Did you know losing 40 to 100 hair strands a day is normal?
On an average, the scalp contains 100,000 strands which are just less than 1000 per square inch.
- Hormonal imbalance and a poor diet can lead to excessive hair loss. If you are losing excessive hair, it is time to check what you are eating.
- Baldness is a hereditary trait that you receive either from your paternal or maternal side.
- About 40% women have hereditary hair loss by the time they reach menopause.
- Hair loss can also occur due to iron deficiency.
- Hair loss can also be due to the side effects of certain drugs.
- Redheads have about 90,000 hair strands on their scalp.
- Blacks have 108,000 hair strands on an average.
- People with natural brown color have 140,000 strands.
- Blondes have the maximum hair strands, almost 140,000.
- Africans and Europeans are more prone to balding as opposed to Asians.
- 35 meters of hair fiber is produced every day on the average adult scalp.
- Hair grows faster in warm weather.
- One strand of hair can carry a weight of 100 grams.
- Humidity stretches hair.
- Asian hair grows faster than any other ethnicity.
- African hair is more fragile than European hair.
- African hair grows slower than European hair.
- Hair is composed of 50.65% carbon, 20.85% oxygen, 17.14% nitrogen, 6.36% hydrogen, and 5.0% sulfur.
- Darker hair contains higher levels of carbon than blonde hair.
- To improve your overall hair health, include whole meal products, eggs, vitamin D, herrings, salmon, carrots, green vegetables, and Vitamin C in your diet chart